Trump doesn’t really respect members of the military. He uses them as props.
- President Donald Trump loves military parades and quoting from the film “Patton,” but when it comes to actually treating military personnel and their families with respect, he’s got a mixed record.
- He’s insulted war heroes and their parents, lambasted generals as “dopes and babies,” and blithely dismissed the symptoms of soldiers with traumatic brain injuries.
- Trump also pardoned a convicted war criminal against the objections of the men and women he served with, who described him as “freaking evil.”
- The latest example of Trump forcing West Point cadets to come back so he could give a commencement address, despite the ongoing pandemic.
- Throughout his decades in public life, Trump has epitomized the idea of hollow, performative patriotism.
- This is an opinion column. The thoughts expressed are those of the author.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The latest example of Trump exploiting the military for his political benefit came on Saturday, when over 1,000 cadets were called back to the US Military Academy at West Point so that the …continued .
[Source: Business Insider]