Thousands of US nursing home patients have died of coronavirus: a far higher than the federal government has reported
- Thousands of nursing home residents have died of COVID-19 across the US and nearly 2,500 nursing homes are facing outbreaks, according to separate reports from NBC News and The Wall Street Journal.
- The number of nursing homes and other senior facilities with coronavirus cases — revealed by the new reports — is at least six times higher than the latest federal estimate.
- Nursing homes across the US are struggling to contain outbreaks and are desperate for access to testing.
- In New York, the epicenter of the outbreak, some nursing homes have been forced to convert spare rooms to makeshift morgues.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
For weeks, nursing homes and other senior facilities have struggled to stop the rapid spread of coronavirus among their elderly residents. Now, two separate reports show the contagion among nursing homes is far worse than the federal government’s latest estimate.
The novel coronavirus has taken the lives of over 2,300 US nursing home residents and spread to over 2,100 senior facilities, according to a new tally reported by The Wall Street Journal. A separate NBC News report Friday found coronavirus outbreaks at nearly 2,500 …continued .
[Source: Business Insider]