This coronavirus is unlike anything in our lifetime, and we have to stop comparing it to the flu
- COVID-19 has often been compared to Influenza, including by President Donald Trump.
- But comparing the novel coronavirus to the flu is “dangerously inaccurate,” particularly due to the higher death rate associated with COVID-19.
- The flu kills less than 1% of infected people who are over age 65, compared to COVID-19, which in China, for example, killed 8% of those infected who were 70-79 and almost 15% of those infected who were age 80 or older.
- Moreover, the US healthcare system doesn’t have the capacity to deal with coronavirus the way it does for the flu
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
As a longtime health care reporter, I see the unfolding coronavirus pandemic as representing everything I’ve read about — from the early days of epidemiology to the staggering toll of the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic — but had not covered in my lifetime.
And still, I have been caught off guard by the pushback from top elected officials and even some friends and acquaintances who keep comparing it to the flu….continued .
[Source: Business Insider]