The top health official in a Russian region that claims to have only 29 coronavirus deaths says the real figure is more than 20 times higher
- Russia has for weeks been suspected of deflating its official coronavirus figures.
- On Sunday Jamaludin Hajiyibragimov, the health minister for Dagestan, a federal republic of Russia, said the actual death toll in his region is more than 20 times Moscow’s official figures.
- Russia said that Dagestan had 3,371 infections and 29 deaths, while Hajiyibragimov said the region actually has more than 13,000 infections and 657 deaths.
- According to Hajiyibragimov, the reporting discrepancy is due to how authorities have determined patients’ illnesses.
- Many Russian patients have been diagnosed with “community-acquired pneumonia,” which has the same symptoms as COVID-19 but without an official virus test.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The top health official for the Russian republic of Dagestan says the Kremlin has vastly underreported the number of …continued .
[Source: Business Insider]