The ACLU is fighting to get Michael Cohen out of prison, saying the Justice Department went after him for writing a book about Trump
- The ACLU and the New York-based law firm Perry Guha LLP are suing Attorney General William Barr and the Bureau of Prisons director on behalf of Michael Cohen.
- They say that Cohen, President Donald Trump’s former lawyer, is being unjustly held in prison because he’s writing a book about Trump.
- Cohen was briefly released from prison due to COVID-19 concerns earlier this year, but was taken back into custody in July after refusing conditions of his house arrest, the Bureau of Prisons said.
- Days before he was taken back into custody he was seen dining at a Manhattan restaurant and the ACLU said he had tweeted about his book.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The American Civil Liberties Union and a private law firm have filed a lawsuit against Attorney General William Barr and the Bureau of Prisons director on Monday on behalf of Michael Cohen, saying Donald Trump’s former lawyer is being unjustly held in prison because he’s writing a critical book about the president.
The lawsuit was filed late on Monday night by the ACLU and Perry Guha LLP, a New York-based law firm.