Republicans are falling in line with Trump’s push to reopen the economy after weeks of bipartisan support for staying-at-home, poll shows
- Republicans are swinging back towards Trump’s position on reopening the economy, a Politico/Morning Consult tracking poll found.
- A poll conducted May 8-10 found 55% of Republican voters were more concerned about the economic impact of the coronavirus, while 38% were more concerned about the public health impact.
- That’s a reversal from mid April, when Politico/Morning Consult found 51% of Republicans were more concerned about the public health impact, compared to 43% who more concerned about the economy.
- Overall, the poll released Wednesday found that a majority of registered voters – 56% – are still more concerned about the coronavirus’ threat to public health than to the economy.
- The shift in Republican voters’ opinion comes after weeks of President Trump speaking and tweeting about his desire for shutdown orders to lift and economic activity to resume.
- Insider polling found Republicans believe the coronovirus crisis will be over much sooner than Democrats do.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
For weeks, President …continued .
[Source: Business Insider]