If America is going to survive the coronavirus, the GOP is going to have to give up on a 40 year crusade
- Even the midst of a global pandemic when millions of Americans are losing their jobs every week, the GOP is writing rescue bills to reflect their view that government should only help the “deserving.”
- Who deserves help? Business. Who does not? Working people, poor people, other institutions.
- Right now Washington is fighting over whether or not a bill sending financial help to small businesses should also send help to hospitals and state governments fighting coronavirus on the front lines. Democrats want more aid for more people. Republicans want to limit it.
- This shouldn’t be an argument. States give money to the unemployed and hospitals need this money badly. Republicans need to put their crusade aside and focus on helping us out of this crisis.
- This is an opinion column. The thoughts expressed are those of the author.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
If America is going to get through the coronavirus with its society and economy intact, Republicans are going to have to give up on their crusade to keep government small and budgets austere.
As a country we have more to lose if we under-spend during this crisis than we do if we overspend. If we under-spend, the deluge …continued .
[Source: Business Insider]