House Democrats unveil new $3 trillion coronavirus relief bill
House Democrats released their latest bill Tuesday designed to blunt the coronavirus pandemic’s devastating effects on the economy and health-care system.
Party leaders expect to vote on the more-than-1,800-page package on Friday, along with a plan to allow proxy voting on legislation during the crisis. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Tuesday said Congress had a “momentous opportunity” to meet people’s needs, contending that “not acting is the most expensive course” as the GOP grows weary of taxpayer spending.
It includes, according to a summary:
- Nearly $1 trillion in relief for state and local governments
- A second round of direct payments of $1,200 per person, and up to $6,000 for a household
- About $200 billion for hazard pay for essential workers who face heightened health risks during the crisis
- $75 billion for coronavirus testing and contact tracing — a key effort to restart businesses
- An extension of the $600 per week federal unemployment insurance …continued .
[Source: CNBC News]