Here are 10 of the country’s top activists and lawmakers’ ideas for police reform in America
- Nationwide protests against racism and police brutality have heightened calls for national police reform.
- Many activists and progressive lawmakers are calling for a national defunding of the police and the redistribution of resources to social services, including education and healthcare.
- Democrats in Congress have crafted a sweeping bill meant to boost police accountability and end certain controversial law-enforcement tactics. President Donald Trump is set to sign an executive order implementing some incremental changes.
- Here’s what 10 prominent activists, experts, and lawmakers are calling for.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Protests across the US sparked by the May 25 death of George Floyd have heightened calls for national police reform.
Many activists and progressive lawmakers are calling for a national defunding of the police and the redistribution of resources to social services, including education and healthcare. Some are calling for abolishing police departments altogether and replacing them with other forms of community protection.
House Democrats have put forward the Justice in Policing Act, the most sweeping set of law-enforcement reforms proposed by Congress in recent decades, which calls for boosting police accountability and ending certain controversial law-enforcement practices like chokeholds and no-knock warrants in drug cases.
While a …continued .
[Source: Business Insider]