Coronavirus live updates: More than 303,000 people have been infected and more than 12,944 have died. The US has reported 285 deaths. Here’s everything we know.
- The coronavirus that originated in Wuhan, China, in December has killed more than 12,944 people and infected 303,001 others. It has spread to at least 167 countries and territories.
- The World Health Organization declared it a pandemic on March 11.
- On March 19 a record number of cases — around 27,800 — were reported in a 24-hour period.
- More than 8,000 deaths have been reported outside of mainland China, including 285 in the US.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The novel coronavirus has infected at least 303,001 people and killed at least 12,944 worldwide as of March 21.
The World Health Organization declared it a pandemic on March 11. Since then, the virus has spread further and faster than ever. At least 167 countries and territories have reported cases.
Europe is the new epicenter of the disease, which is also infecting increasing numbers of people in the US.
China — where the virus first began to spread in late 2019 — has seen a sharp drop-off in its rate of new cases. Italy has recorded 4,825 deaths, overtaking China as the country with most coronavirus-related deaths. In China, 3,259 have been reported dead.
More than 88,000 people known to be infected have …continued .
[Source: Business Insider]