After Elon Musk criticized Bernie Sanders’ brand of socialism, Sanders took him to task for taking billions of dollars in government support
Andy Clayton King/AP Photo
- Bernie Sanders and Elon Musk got into a tiny tussle on Twitter Friday over “socialism.”
- Sanders on Thursday introduced a bill that would place a 60% tax on the wealth gained during the coronavirus crisis by billionaires including Musk and use the money raised to pay all American’s out-of-pocket healthcare expenses for a year.
- In response to an article about the bill, Musk tweeted out a meme that essentially criticized Sanders for spending other people’s money to fund “free government programs.”
- Sanders hit back at Musk, calling him out for criticizing programs that help the vast majority of Americans when he and his companies had benefited from billions of dollars in government assistance.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Bernie Sanders showed Friday he isn’t afraid to call out hypocrisy — particularly when it comes from someone like Tesla CEO Elon Musk.